NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
September 18, 2010
1. Call to Order/Roll Call
Mary Poretti called the meeting to order at 10:09 am.
Present: Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Bill Bruen (Bayfield County), Dan Gretz (Sawyer County), Karen Livingston (Douglas County)(arrived 10:15 am), Al Lundquist (Ashland County), Vivian Markley (Superior Public Library), Deb Nordgren (Douglas County), Mary Platner (Vilas County)(left 12:05 pm), Mary Poretti (Burnett County), Tom Thompson (Iron County), Jim Trojanowski (Director), Linda Stobbe (Office Manager).
Excused: Michael Bobin (Washburn County), Bill Farris (Washburn County), Tuula Harris (Douglas County), Shirley Harrison (Vilas County), Debbie Hohner (Iron County), Jessie Burhans (Douglas County), Kathy McCoy (Sawyer County), Marcia Wellnitz (Bayfield County).
2. Guest Comments
3. Approval of the July 17, 2010, NWLS Board Meeting Minutes
Buzz Byrne moved to approve the minutes of the July 17, 2010, Board of Trustees Meeting. Mary Platner seconded. Carried unanimously.
4. Approval of July and August, 2010, NWLS Expenditures
Bill Bruen moved to approve the May and June, 2010, NWLS Expenditures. Mary Platner seconded. Carried unanimously.
5. Approval of August 31, 2010, Financial Statement and Budget Report
Tom Thompson moved to approve the August 30, 2010, Financial Statement and Budget Report. Al Lundquist seconded. Carried unanimously.
6. Approval of Merlin By-Laws Revision
The Merlin Consortium requested a revision to clarify language in the By-Laws. Karen Livingston moved to approve the revision to the Merlin By-Laws. Buzz Byrne seconded. Approved unanimously.
7. Approval of Web Services Policy
The Web Services Agreement defines the support NWLS provides to libraries using the website templates developed by NWLS. Karen Livingston moved to approve the Web Services Agreement. Vivian Markley seconded. Carried unanimously.
8. Approval of Technology Policy
The policy has been amended to reflect changes since it was first written. Buzz Byrne moved to approve the policy. Mary Platner seconded. Carried unanimously.
9. 2011 NWLS Budget and Plan of Service
NWLS will receive an increase of 3.2% in state aid for 2011. Jim Trojanowski presented a budget that:
• Retains the current level of services in 2011.
• Provides a one-time $140 per library grant for public programming.
• Adds one-time money for NWLS to make ergonomic and building improvements.
• Provides a 3% increase for staff.
• Includes an 11% increase in health insurance costs
• Anticipates a reduction in state aid in the next biennium.
Mary Platner moved to approve the 2011 NWLS Budget and Plan of Service. Bill Bruen seconded. Carried unanimously.
7. 2011 Member Library Agreements
The agreements are amended to reflect possible reductions in services to libraries in any county that fails to appropriate the amount NWLS has requested. Karen Livingston moved to approve the 2011 Member Library Agreements. Al Lundquist seconded. Carried unanimously.
8. 2011 County Service Agreements
Karen Livingston moved to approve the 2011 County Service Agreements. Buzz Byrne seconded. Carried unanimously.
9. Superior Public Library 2011 Resource Library Agreement
This agreement has been ameded in the same way as the Member Library Agreements. Tuula Harris moved to approve the 2011 Resource Library Agreement with Superior Public Library. Martye Allen seconded. Carried unanimously.
10. Discussion of Member Library Survey
The Board was presented with the results of the survey. Staff has begun discussing the results, which have also been sent to member library directors. Directors will discuss the results at a meeting in October.
11. Director’s Report
• Ashland and Sawyer counties have indicated they may cut NWLS funding.
• The position opening for the Interlibrary Loan Assistant.
• Painting and landscaping work at NWLS.
• Jim asked if trustees would prefer a written report to an oral one. They would.
Mary Poretti declared the meeting adjourned at 12:47 pm.