NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
September 15, 2012 NWLS Headquarters, Ashland
1. Call to Order/Roll Call
Tuula Harris called the meeting to order at 10:02 AM.
Present: Jim Basset (Sawyer County), Bill Bruen (Bayfield County), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Tuula Harris (Douglas County), Dee Kittleson (Bayfield County), Vivian Markley (Superior Public Library), Jim Pearson (Washburn County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Deb Nordgren (Douglas County), Tom Thompson (Iron County), Jim Trojanowski (Director), Linda Stobbe (Office Manager).
Excused: Jessie Burhans (Douglas County), Dan Gretz (Sawyer County), Jamie Klema (Ashland County), Robert Mock (Douglas County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County).
2. Guest Comments
3. Approval of the July 21, 2012 NWLS Board Meeting Minutes
Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Mary Platner to approve the July 21, 2012 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes. Motion carried.
4. July and August 2012 NWLS Expenditures
Motion by Mary Platner, second by Dee Kittleson to approve the July and August, 2012, NWLS expenditures. Motion carried.
5. August, 2012 Financial Statement and Budget Report
Motion by Bill Bruen, second by Buzz Byrne to approve the August, 2012, NWLS Financial Statement and Budget Report. Motion carried.
6. Approval of 2013 NWLS Budget and Plan of Service
Motion by Jim Basset, second by Tom Thompson to approve the 2013 NWLS Budget and Plan of Service. Motion carried.
7. Approval of 2013 Member Library Agreements
Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Mary Platner to approve the 2013 Member Library Agreements. Carried unanimously.
8. Approval of 2013 County Service Agreements
Motion by Mary Platner, second by Buzz Byrne, to approve the 2013 County Service Agreements. Motion carried.
9. Approval of Superior Public Library 2013 Resource Library Agrement
Motion by Jeff Burke, second by Vivian Markley to approve the Resource Library Agreement with Superior Public Library as amended to remove reference to the so-called maintenance of effort provision, which is no longer law. Motion carried.
10. Approval of NWLS Strategic Plan
Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Bill Bruen to approve the NWLS Strategic Plan as presented. Motion carried.
11. Director’s Report
• The staff appears to be stretched to its max as a result of staffing cuts. Since 2004, staff has been reduced by one-third. Future cuts in budget will result in a combination of increasing fees to members for services and/or significant reductions in services.
• Recently completed and on-going projects include the statewide Director Boot Camp for new library directors; strategic planning; submission of 2013 LSTA grants; and work on migration to Sierra, the new version of the automation software.
Tuula Harris declared the meeting adjourned at 12:00 PM.