NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting
March 16, 2013 NWLS Headquarters, Ashland Minutes
1. Call to Order/Roll Call
Tuula Harris called the March 16, 2013 meeting of the NWLS Board of Trustees to order at 12:00 p.m. Present: Jim Basset (Sawyer County), Bill Bruen (Bayfield County), Jessie Burhans (Douglas County), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Tuula Harris (Douglas County), Robert Mock (Douglas County), Deb Nordgren (Douglas County), James Pearson (Washburn County), Tom Thompson (Iron County), Jim Trojanowski (NWLS Director), Linda Stobbe (NWLS Office Manager). Excused: Donna Bergum (Superior Public Library), Clarence Campbell (Ashland County), Dan Gretz (Sawyer County), Dee Kilttleson (Bayfield County), Jamie Klema (Ashland County), Vivian Markley (Douglas County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County).
2. Guest Comments: None.
3. Approval of the January 19, 2013
NWLS Board Meeting Minutes Buzz Byrne moved to approve the minutes of the January 19, 2013 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes. Bill Bruen seconded. Carried unanimously.
4. Approval of January and February, 2013, NWLS
Expenditures James Pearson moved to approve the January and February, 2013 NWLS Expenditures. Buzz Byrne seconded. Carried unanimously.
5. Approval of February 28, 2013
Financial Statement and Budget Report Jeff Burke moved to accept the February 28, 2013 Financial Statement and Budget Report. Jessie Burhans seconded. Carried unanimously.
6. Approval of 2012 Annual Audit
Jessie Burhans moved to approve the 2012 audit. Deb Nordgren seconded. Carried unanimously.
7. Approval of 2012 NWLS Annual Report
As part of the discussion, Jim Trojanowski shared several graphs that demonstrate how member library output measures have changed over the past 15 years. Buzz Byrne moved to approve the 2012 NWLS Annual Report. Bill Bruen seconded. Carried unanimously.
8. Apporval of Purchase of a Dell Latitude E5530 Laptop Computer from the Reserve Fund
This is part of the equipment replacement schedule. Due to the fact that staff use NWLS laptops for travel less often, rather than buying two as in the past, only one is being purchased. Jeff Burke moved to approve the purchase of a Dell Latitutde E5530 laptop. Buzz Byrne. Carried unanimously.
9. Director’s Report
• Governor Walker’s budget proposal freezes system aids at the current level for both years of the biennium. The budget now awaits legislative action and the governor’s signature.
• System aids are currently paid from the Universal Service Fund (USF). There is some concern that opposition to this from telephone companies may lead to cuts in system funding.
• The state received less LSTA funding than originally anticipated; as a result, NWLS has been awarded 50% of its grant toward the system share of the state e-book buying pool and 57% of its technology grant. It is possible some of the funding will be restored; pending future action, a budget amendment reflecting these changes is possible.
• A trustee workshop will be held April 13, 2013, at NWLS. System trustees are invited to attend.
• Jim reviewed the way in which board meeting agendas are created and asked if the board wished to review that process or the structure for board meetings. The board agreed that it feels welcome to suggest agenda items and said things are fine the way they are currently structured.
Tuula Harris declared the meeting adjourned at 1:29 pm. Respectfully submitted, Jim Trojanowski