NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting
September 21, 2013 NWLS Headquarters, Ashland Minutes
1. Call to Order/Roll Call Tuula Harris called the meeting to order at 10:05 AM. Present: Donna Bergum (Superior Public Library), Bill Bruen (Bayfield County), Jessie Burhans (Douglas County), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Tuula Harris (Douglas County), Dee Kittleson (Bayfield County), Sandy Mackie (Washburn County), Vivian Markley (Douglas County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Deb Nordgren (Douglas County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County), Jim Trojanowski (Director), Linda Stobbe (Office Manager). Excused: Jim Basset (Sawyer County), Clarence Campbell (Ashland County), Dan Gretz (Sawyer County), Jamie Klema (Ashland County), Robert Mock (Douglas County), Jim Pearson (Washburn County), Tom Thompson (Iron County).
2. Guest Comments None.
3. Approval of the July 20, 2013 NWLS Board Meeting Minutes Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Bill Bruen to approve the July 20, 2013 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes. Carried unanimously.
4. July and August 2013 NWLS Expenditures Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Laura Rachford to approve the July and August, 2013 NWLS expenditures. Carried unanimously.
5. August, 2013 Financial Statement and Budget Report Motion by Bill Bruen, second by Mary Platner to approve the August, 2013, NWLS Financial Statement and Budget Report. Carrried unanimously.
6. Approval of 2013 Budget Amendment Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Jessie Burhans, to approve the 2013 budget amendment to add a $3,000 grant from LSTA to pay costs associated with the Growing Wisconsin Readers initiative. Carried unanimously.
7. Approval of 2014 NWLS Budget and Plan of Service Motion by Jeff Burke, second by Vivian Markley to approve the 2014 NWLS Budget and Plan of Service. Jim highlighted budget features, including using the Reserve Fund to pay off debt to the Bureau of Commissioners of Public Lands, a 1.5% pay increase for staff, purchase of new routers for member libraries using the Reserve Fund, an increase in travel reimbursement costs to the state rate of $.51/mile and the meal allowance by $4/day for both out-of-state and in-state travel. Carried unanimously.
8. Approval of 2014 Pay Scale Motion by Sandy Mackie, second by Jessie Burhans, to approve the 2014 NWLS Pay Scale representing a 1.5% increase for all positions. Carried unanimously.
9. Approval of 2014 Member Library Agreements Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Mary Platner to approve the 2014 Member Library Agreements. The agreements remain unchanged from 2013. Carried unanimously.
10. Approval of 2014 County Service Agreements Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Mary Platner, to approve the 2014 County Service Agreements. The agreements remain unchanged from 2013. Carried unanimously.
11. Approval of Superior Public Library 2014 Resource Library Agreement Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Sandy Mackie to approve the Resource Library Agreement with Superior Public Library. The agreement is unchanged from 2013. Carried unanimously.
12. Approval to purchase routers for member libraries Motion by Vivian Markley, second by Laura Rachford to approve purchase of a router for each member library and its branches in an amount up to $500 per router with any remaining portion to be paid by each library. Carried unanimously.
13. Approval of NWLS Longevity Pay Policy Motion by Vivian Markley, second by Jeff Burke, to approve the NWLS Longevity Pay Policy. The motion increases longevity pay by $5 for 5 years of continuous service, $10 for 10 years, and $25 for 15 and 20 years. Carried unanimously.
14. Approval of NWLS Travel Reimbursement Policy Motion by Jeff Burke, second by Laura Rachford, to approve the NWLS Travel Reimbursement Policy. Mileage reimbursement would increase to $.51/mile and meal reimbursements by $4/day for in-state and out-of-state travel effective October 1, 2013. Carried unanimously.
15. Approval of NWLS Equipment Loan Policy Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Mary Platner, to approve the NWLS Equipment Loan Policy. Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Jessie Burhans, to amend the policy to replace the words “computer lab equipment” with “electronic equipment” wherever they appear in the policy to reflect the fact that NWLS no longer has a computer lab. Carried unanimously as amended.
16. Approval of Cold Application Policy Motion by Vivian Markley, second by Laura Rachford, to approve the Cold Application Policy. Carried unanimously.
17. Approval of Memorandum of Understanding between WiLS, Northern Waters Library Service, Indianhead Federated Library System, and Wisconsin Valley Library Service Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Sandy Mackie, to approve the Memorandum of Understanding between NWLS, WiLS, IFLS, and WVLS. Carried unanimously.
18. Director’s Report
• The SRLAAW report on System Services and Configuration was changed dramatically after input from various stakeholders was considered. The final version calls for further study, although the new standards for systems take place and NWLS has begun work to analyze what it needs to do to meet them and to begin working toward them. Jim will send out a link to the final version.
• NWLS is working with Action Logistics to determine the cost and feasibility to add delivery days, something that both the new standards for public library systems and the NWLS strategic plan call for. The idea was discussed at a recent web meeting of member library directors and more will be held once Action Logistics has information prepared for consideration.
19. Adjourn Tuula Harris declared the meeting adjourned at 12:00 PM.
Respectfully submitted, Jim Trojanowski