NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting
September 20, 2014 Minutes
NWLS Headquarters, Ashland
1. Call to Order/Roll Call
Tuula Harris called the meeting to order at 10:00 AM.
Present: Donna Bergum (Superior Public Library), Bill Bruen (Bayfield County), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Clarence Campbell (Ashland County), Tuula Harris (Douglas County), Dee Kittleson (Bayfield County), Sandy Mackie (Washburn County), Vivian Markley (Douglas County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County), (Teresa Schmidt, Mercer, Director Liaison), Jim Trojanowski (Director), Linda Stobbe (Office Manager), Mike Sauvola, Network Administrator).
Excused: Jim Basset (Sawyer County), Jessie Burhans (Douglas County), Jamie Klema (Ashland County), Robert Mock (Douglas County), Jim Pearson (Washburn County), Tom Thompson (Iron County).
2. Guest Comments
3. Approval of the July 19, 2014 NWLS Board Meeting Minutes
Motion by Sandy Mackie, second by Laura Rachford to approve the July 19, 2014 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes. Carried unanimously.
4. July and August 2014 NWLS Expenditures
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Donna Bergum to approve the July and August, 2014 NWLS expenditures. Carried unanimously.
5. August, 2014 Financial Statement and Budget Report
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Buzz Byrne to approve the August, 2014, NWLS Financial Statement and Budget Report. Carrried unanimously.
6. Approval of 2015 NWLS Budget and Plan of Service
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Jeff Burke to approve the 2015 NWLS Budget and Plan of Service. Jim highlighted changes, including funds to send him to attend a national conference and leadership training, a 1% pay increase for staff, and new funds for building maintenance. Carried unanimously.
7. Approval of 2015 Pay Scale
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Mary Platner, to approve the 2015 NWLS Pay Scale representing a 1% increase for all positions. Carried unanimously.
8. Approval of 2015 Member Library Agreements
Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Donna Bergum to approve the 2015 Member Library Agreements. The agreements remain unchanged from 2014. Carried unanimously.
9. Approval of 2015 County Service Agreements
Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Clarence Campbell, to approve the 2015 County Service Agreements. The agreements remain unchanged from 2014. Carried unanimously.
10. Approval of Superior Public Library 2015 Resource Library Agreement
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Sandy Mackie to approve the Resource Library Agreement with Superior Public Library. The agreement is unchanged from 2014. Carried unanimously.
11. Approval to purchase replacement servers and server software
Mike Sauvola provided an overview of a plan to purchase two servers capable of handling the applications supported by NWLS that currently require six servers. Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Donna Bergum to approve purchase of the servers and software. After discussion, motion by Laura Rachford, second by Donna Bergum to amend the motion to include a contract for offsite backup and to make the total cost $9,843.24.. Carried unanimously.
12. Director’s Report
• Mike Sauvola provide an update on the state fiber project. All but six libraries have been upgraded and the rest will be complete this fall.
• Jim was a presenter at the New Wisconsin Library Director Boot Camp in Stevens Point.
• A LEAN study of public library systems coordinated by the Division for Libraries and Technology has been completed and Jim is helping set up a webinar to present it to libraries statewide.
• Jim is part of a COLAND subcommittee charged with recommending methods to help modernize and consolidate public library system services to the State Superintendent by January 1, 2015.
• Project WIN was rejected by directors in both Northern Waters and Wisconsin Valley.
• COLAND received an update on tribal library issues and Jim provided an overview of it.
• Teresa Schmidt thanked NWLS for asking libraries to sign member agreements annually, saying it provide a good opportunity for directors to discuss system services with their trustees. She noted that not all systems require this.
Tuula Harris declared the meeting adjourned at 11:25 PM.