NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting
August 1, 2015 Minutes
NWLS Headquarters, Ashland
1. Call to Order/Roll Call
Dee Kittleson called the meeting to order at 10:02 am.
Present: Jim Basset (Sawyer County), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Connie Cogger (Bayfield County), Dian Delong (Sawyer County), Dee Kittleson (Bayfield County), Sandy Mackie (Washburn County), Patricia McDermott (Douglas County), Jan Pierce (Douglas County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County), Tom Thompson (Iron County), Teresa Schmidt (Mercer Public Library), Michael Sheehan (Interim Director), Linda Stobbe (Office Manager), Mike Sauvola (Technology Manager).
Excused: Donna Bergum (Superior Public Library), Michael Bobin (Washburn County), Clarence Campbell (Ashland County), Jamie Klema (Ashland County), Vivian Markley (Douglas County), Robert Mock (Douglas County).
2. Guest Comments None.
3. Approval of the June 20, 2015, Special Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
There were no comments. Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Sandy Mackie to approve the June 20, 2015 Special Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes. Motion carried unanimously.
4. Approval of May and June, 2015, NWLS Expenditures
There were no comments. Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Mary Platner to approve the May and June, 2015 NWLS Expenditures. Motion carried unanimously.
5. Approval of June 30, 2015, Financial Statement and Budget Report
Linda Stobbe explained that the yellow and orange highlighted areas on the financial statements correlate to the budget amendment and the green highlight refers to Sawyer County funding NWLS for 2015 at the 2014 request level.
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Buzz Byrne to accept the June 30, 2015 Financial Statement and Budget Report. Motion carried unanimously.
6. August 1, 2015 Budget Amendment
There were no comments. Motion by Mary Platner, second by Laura Rachford to accept the Amended Budget. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Approval of LSTA Grant Applications
- Delivery Services (non-competitive)
- Public Library System Technology Projects(non-competitive)
- Adult Literacy – Memory Café (competitive)
Mary Platner and Dee Kittleson mentioned other partnering agencies that Linda Stobbe could contact for support on the Memory Café Project. Motion by Mary Platner, second by Laura Rachford to approve all three grant applications as described. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Approval of Electronic Equipment Disposal Policy
Mike Sauvola explained how the previous policy did not describe effectively how staff will determine how to dispose of obsolete equipment.
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Jeff Burke to approve the Electronic Equipment Disposal Policy.
Amended motion by Sandy Mackie, second by Mary Platner to add language that any cost incurred by NWLS in the process of equipment disposal will be the responsibility of the owning library. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Approval to purchase network monitoring software
Mike Sauvola described the network issues encountered in the last three weeks and how difficult it is to analyze problems. Without running network monitoring software, it takes more time for IT to diagnose issues and resolve most technology problems. This software will allow IT staff to reduce the wait time for libraries and patrons for most network related issues.
Mary Platner asked for Mike to draft a brief synopsis of this description to deliver to librarians so they can effectively inform frustrated patrons when network access is impaired. Jim Bassett asked for clarification of the cost of the quote in being one-time.
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Mary Platner to approve the purchase of network monitoring software quoted by Plixner International. Motion carried unanimously.
10. 2016 Budget and Plan Considerations
NWLS staff presented three areas for the Board to consider for approving at the next meeting:
- Create a procedure for emergency technology purchases
- Cost of living increases for staff
- Shifting costs set for painting the building to be used for driveway repair
The Board advised Linda Stobbe to add language to her financial procedures mentioning the allowance of up to $5,000 for emergency technology purchases, and bringing that document to the September meeting for approval.
The Board suggested that Linda create budgets with increases for staff at 1%, 2%, and 3%.
Since the NWLS maintenance staff felt we could hold off on painting the entire building and just paint the trim, we would like to redirect that money for repair work on the south driveway. Mike Sheehan will contact Ashland Paving to get a quote for the work involved.
11. Search Committee Update
Linda Stobbe, Dee Kittleson and Connie Cogger, members of the search committee, stated that they met on July 24 to organize future meetings, plan the tasks of the committee and to recommend a salary range to the board. Nine applications have arrived so far with the application deadline August 14. The Search Committee will meet September 15 to review applications and recommend those for interviews. The committee recommended a salary range of $55,000 - $65,000 depending upon qualifications and experience.
12. Interim Director’s Report
Mike Sheehan reported on the following items:
- The progress made to meet with Bad River Public Tribal Library constituents in August to resolve their pending non-compliance.
- A potential non-compliance issue with Olson Memorial Library had actually been resolved at the end of last year.
- An anticipated digital magazine subscription pilot project for 2016.
- A staffing vacancy for Mail-a-Book/Delivery Asst. at the end of August, and what might happen to that position, pending the Director hiring.
- Sad news on the death of former Grantsburg Public Library Director, Judy Pearson on July 8.
Dee Kittleson declared the meeting adjourned at 11:20 am.