NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting
September 19, 2015 Minutes
NWLS Headquarters, Ashland
1. Call to Order/Roll Call
Jeff Burke called the meeting to order at 10:00 am.
Present: Jim Bassett (Sawyer County), Michael Bobin (Washburn County), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Clarence Campbell (Ashland County), Connie Cogger (Bayfield County), Dian Delong (Sawyer County), Sandy Mackie (Washburn County), Vivian Markley (Douglas County), Robert Mock (Douglas County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County), Tom Thompson (Iron County), Michael Sheehan (Interim Director), Linda Stobbe (Office Manager).
Excused: Donna Bergum (Superior Public Library), Dee Kittleson (Bayfield County), Jamie Klema (Ashland County), Patricia McDermott (Douglas County), Jan Pierce (Douglas County), and Teresa Schmidt (Mercer Public Library).
2. Guest Comments
3. Approval of the August 1, 2015, Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Mary Platner to approve the August 1, 2015 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes. There were no comments. Motion carried unanimously.
4. Approval of July and August 2015 NWLS Expenditures
Motion by Michael Bobin, second by Sandy Mackie to approve the July and August 2015 NWLS Expenditures. Mary Platner asked if NWLS gets reimbursed for patron card purchases. Linda Stobbe answered that we do and only organize group purchasing. Motion carried unanimously.
5. Approval of August 31, 2015, Financial Statement and Budget Report
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Michael Bobin to accept the August 31, 2015 Financial Statement and Budget Report. Motion carried unanimously.
6. Approval of 2016 NWLS Pay Scale, Budget and Plan of Service
Motion by Michael Bobin, second by Mary Platner to approve the 2016 NWLS Pay Scale and Budget with a 3% cost of living increase. Motion carried unanimously.
Motion by Laura Rachford, second by Clarence Campbell to approve the NWLS Plan of Service. Mary Platner asked if there were any changes from the previous plan. Mike Sheehan noted that NWLS staff added more demographic information and budget narrative to the needs assessment portion, and staff added more detailed specifics in the individual service areas of the plan. Motion carried unanimously.
7. Approval of 2016 Member Library Agreements
Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Laura Rachford to approve the 2016 member library agreements. Vivian Markley asked if there were any changes. Mike Sheehan replied that the only changes made were to the dates. Motion carried unanimously.
8. Approval of 2016 County Service Agreements
Motion by Michael Bobin, second by Laura Rachford to approve the 2016 county service agreements. Michael Bobin asked if the amounts showed the increase to county requests. Linda reminded the Board that they approved leaving the county requests flat for 2016 and this was addressed in the letters sent to the counties in June. Motion carried unanimously.
9. Approval of Superior Public Library 2016 Resource Library Agreement
Motion by Michael Bobin, second by Sandy Mackie to approve the Superior Public Library 2016 Resource Library Agreement. Vivian Markley asked if there were any changes. Mike Sheehan commented that in order to bring both Superior Public Library and NWLS more in line with providing a mechanism for evaluation and mutual accountability that have been suggested by past groups (such as SRLAAW, COLAND, and the LEAN practices committee), he added language to the agreement (on parts 2, 3, and 5 of the last page) for Superior to report how the money is being used or what return member libraries and patrons are receiving for funds provided to those service areas. Sheehan added that by having some evidence of the wise use of funds, this should help us defend the agreement when outside parties scrutinize our operations. Mike continued that he did contact Sue Heskin, Director of the Superior Public Library, about the changes and she was accepting of them. Motion carried unanimously.
10. Approval of Bid for Driveway Repair
Motion by Michael Bobin, second by Tom Thompson to approve the driveway repair quote.
Mary Platner remarked that the sidewalk in front of the building is in bad shape and should be repaired as well. Both Michael Bobin and Jim Bassett commented that the excavation, hauling and laying gravel would be a fall project with the asphalt laid in spring after the gravel had time to settle from the winter.
Michael Bobin amended his motion to have NWLS ask Northwoods Paving to include the west-side sidewalk repair to the quote but not to exceed $20,000 and to make the work two stages (up to laying the gravel in the fall but competing the asphalt in spring). Mary Platner seconded. Motion carried unanimously.
11. Approval of Revised Merlin Bylaws
Motion by Michael Bobin, second by Laura Rachford to approve the revised Merlin Bylaws. Mike Sheehan explained that being a service program of NWLS under authority of the NWLS Board any changes made to the Merlin Bylaws are presented to the Board for approval. The first change made to the Merlin Consortium Bylaws was in adding language in Article VI, Section 2(b) to identify carrying an election online when inclement weather forces a change in meeting proceedings. The second change was the addition of language to Article IX (moving previous Article IX. Amendments to Article X) to describe procedures for dissolving Merlin in cases of merging with others automation consortium (like Project WIN was planned to do) or if the membership drops below a point of Consortium sustainability. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Director Search Committee Update
Jeff Burke asked if there had been an exit interview performed with Jim Trojanowski. Linda mentioned she talked with him some about health coverage and payout but that she was unaware of any formal exit interview. She stated that an exit interview should probably be performed by the Board or Board President. Michael Bobin mentioned this is common practice and felt the Board should consider adding this policy. There was strong consensus and it was suggested NWLS work up a policy to include in the NWLS Personnel Handbook for review at the next meeting. Michael Bobin asked that a review of the Personnel Handbook be placed on the next meeting agenda.
Linda Stobbe reported that the Search Committee had received 14 applications and met on September 15 to review applicants and reduce the pool to those being considered for interview. The Committee agreed to interview three applicants on October 5 at NWLS. Buzz Byrne asked if it is acceptable for other Board members to attend. Michael Bobin remarked that other Board members are able to attend but in observational capacity only.
13. Interim Director’s Report
Mike Sheehan reported on the following items:
• NWLS has been playing email and phone tag with the Bad River Tribal Library Board President to agree on a day to meet and resolve any pending non-compliance issues. NWLS is hopefully this will be done in early October.
• There is draft legislation proposing a reduction to the current statutory language of system board membership minimum requirements of 15 members to 11 for multi-county systems. Library legislative leaders were asking systems to contact their legislators to sign this bill for support. Mike Sheehan contacted senators Janet Bewley, Tom Tiffany, and Sheila Harsdorf, and Representatives Beth Myers, Nick Milroy, Adam Jarchow, Romaine Quinn, Robe Swearingen, and Jim Edming to encourage their support of this bill. Mike heard back from Senator Tiffany, and representatives Jarchow and Searingen that they agreed to co-sponsor this bill. Mike clarified that the bill does not force systems with large boards to reduce their membership; only that the option would be there if a Board were interested in reducing their membership to something more manageable for their purposes. Granted the bill is voted into law, then the NWLS Board should keep this in mind if there is ever a need or desire to modify membership.
Jeff Burke declared the meeting adjourned at 11:04 am.
Michael Sheehan, Interim Director