November 14, 2015 Minutes
NWLS Headquarters, Ashland
- Call to Order/Roll Call
Dee Kittleson called the meeting to order at 12:02 pm.
Present: Donna Bergum (Superior Public Library), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Clarence Campbell (Ashland County), Connie Cogger (Bayfield County), Dian Delong (Sawyer County), Dee Kittleson (Bayfield County), Sandy Mackie (Washburn County), Vivian Markley (Douglas County), Patricia McDermott (Douglas County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Teresa Schmidt (Mercer Public Library), Michael Sheehan (Interim Director), Linda Stobbe (Office Manager).
Excused: Jim Bassett (Sawyer County), Michael Bobin (Washburn County), Jamie Klema (Ashland County), Robert Mock (Douglas County), Jan Pierce (Douglas County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County), and Tom Thompson (Iron County).
- Guest Comments
- Approval of the September 19, 2015, Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
Motion by Vivian Markley, second by Jeff Burke to approve the September 19, 2015 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes. Motion carried unanimously.
- Appointment of Nominating Committee for 2016 Officers
Mary Platner, Dee Kittleson, and Sandy Mackie volunteered to serve on the nominating committee. The group decided to meet after the Board meeting to discuss nominees for 2016 officers.
- Approval of September and October 2015 NWLS Expenditures
Motion by Jeff Burke, second by Dian Delong to accept the September and October 2015 NWLS Expenditures. Motion carried unanimously.
- Approval of October 31, 2015, Financial Statement and Budget Report
Motion by Vivian Markley, second by Mary Platner to approve the October 31, 2015 Financial Statement and Budget Report. Linda Stobbe explained how the LSTA projects are evaluated.
Motion carried unanimously.
- Approval of Hiring Sherry Machones as Director
Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Sandy Mackie to approve the hiring of Sherry Machones as Director. The NWLS Search Committee representatives mentioned while the choice was difficult, they were impressed with Sherry’s credentials as well as her confidence in working with counties, libraries and boards. Mike Sheehan met with Sherry at the recent WLA Conference and said he felt she would be a good fit for the organization and easy to work with. Motion carried unanimously.
- Review of NWLS Financial Procedures Handbook
Motion by Jeff Burke, second by Mary Platner to approve the revised NWLS Financial Procedures Handbook. Linda Stobbe explained the additions as well as the sections outlining internal controls in NWLS procedures. Motion carried unanimously.
- Review of NWLS Employee Handbook, Approval of Change in Employee Life Insurance Section
This item was tabled.
- Approval of Disaster Plan
Motion by Jeff Burke, second by Mary Platner to approve the NWLS Disaster Plan. Many commented on the attention to detail and work involved in developing the plan. Motion carried unanimously.
- Discussion and Approval of Director Exit Interview Policy
This item was tabled.
- Interim Director’s Report
Mike Sheehan reported on the following items:
- The system performed a mid-term evaluation of the Strategic Plan. The meetings was attended by NWLS library staff, library directors, and NWLS Board of Trustees. Some minor changes were made to the Plan as well as language noting what actions were to take place, and the revised Plan was distributed on October 21.
- Mike met with new Director Sherry Machones at the WLA Conference (held the first week in November) to introduce her to main services and activities of the system and to get her acquainted with the general system environment.
- NWLS placed an ad for our vacant Mail-a-Book/Delivery Assistant positions and received eleven applications. Mike and Linda will be interviewing three candidates on Wednesday, November 18.
- The front sidewalk replacement and south driveway repair have been completed for the fall phase of the project.
Dee Kittleson declared the meeting adjourned at 1:25 pm.
Michael Sheehan, Interim Director