NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting
January 16, 2016
NWLS Headquarters, Ashland
1. Call to Order/Roll Call
Dee Kittleson called the meeting of the NWLS Board of Trustees to order at 10:02 am.
Present: Alan Lundquist (Ashland County), Clarence Campbell (Ashland County), Connie Cogger (Bayfield County), Dee Kittleson (Bayfield County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County), Patti McDermott (Douglas County), Robert Mock (Douglas County), Tom Thompson (Iron County), Jim Basset (Sawyer County), Dian Delong (Sawyer County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Sandy Mackie (Washburn County), Donna Bergum (Superior Public Library), Sherry Machones (NWLS Director), Michael Sheehan (NWLS Asst. Director), Linda Stobbe (NWLS Office Manager). Most trustees attended in person
Excused: Emmett Byrne (Burnett County), Jan Pierce (Douglas County), Vivian Markley (Douglas County), Michael Bobin (Washburn County), Teresa Schmidt (NWLS Member).
2. Guest Comments None
3. Approval of the November 8, 2015 NWLS Board Meeting Minutes
Robert Mock moved to approve the November 14, 2015 NWLS Board Meeting Minutes. Mary Platner seconded. Carried unanimously.
4. Election of Officers The Nominating Committee proposed Dee Kittleson, President; Jeff Burke, Vice-President; and Clarence Campbell, Treasurer. There were no nominations from the floor. Motion by Mary Platner to close nominations and elect the slate of officers. Second by Robert Mock. Carried unanimously.
5. Approval of November and December, 2015 NWLS Expenditures
Jim Basset moved to approve the November and December, 2015 Expenditures. Jeff Burke seconded. Carried unanimously.
6. Approval of December 31, 2015 Financial Statement and Budget Report (pending audit)
Jeff Burke moved to approve the December 31, 2015 Financial Statement and Budget Report, pending audit. Sandy Mackie seconded. Carried unanimously.
7. Approval of Revised 2016 Payscale
Linda Stobbe provided background on the need for revision. Jim Basset suggested that a pay scale analysis should be done and Sandy Mackie agreed. Donna Bergum volunteered to conduct the analysis and have it for the March meeting. Jim Basset moved to approve the revised 2016 pay scale. Robert Mock seconded. Carried unanimously.
8. Approval of 2016 Budget Amendment
Linda Stobbe provided background on the need for amendment. Jeff Burke moved to approve the 2016 Budget Amendment. Mary Platner seconded. Carried unanimously.
9. Approval of the SRLAAW Funding Request
Sherry Machones provided background for the request. Many members voiced support. Jeff Burke moved to approve the SRLAAW Funding Request of $529.00 to be paid using reserve funds. Mary Platner seconded. Carried unanimously.
10. Director’s Report
Sherry Machones discussed general housekeeping questions with the Board. The Board unanimously agreed to keep the normal meeting days and times for 2016; to change the March 2016 meeting to March 12th at noon; to go over 1-4 chapters of the Trustee Essentials at each meeting as time allows; and that dues for specific memberships should be voted on at the next meeting. Sherry Machones then reported on the following items:
• Updates from member libraries:
- Presque Isle received a $12,000 donation from their friends group.
- WXPR will be having Sunday night storytime starting at the end of January. Librarians from the listening area will be doing the readings.
• Updates from the system:
- LSTA grant winners will be officially notified of winning in February.
- We are prepping for the audit in February.
- Mike Sheehan is processing cataloging assessments from member libraries to tailor continuing ed activities.
- Legislative update: Library Legislative Day is February 9th. Current legislation that WLA is trying to get passed is “Return of Library Materials” Bill - SB466/AB609. Under this proposal, a library may disclose to a collection agency or a law enforcement agency information about delinquent accounts of any individual who borrows from the library.
• Updates from the Director:
- I started visiting system libraries after my first week here. I have visited six of the 28. I will be resuming visits in the next few weeks.
- When I attended the SRLAAW meeting in November, I volunteered to be on the Governmental relations committee. We are working on securing funding for lobbying contracts.
- I consulted with Mellen regarding their behavior policy.
- I am consulting with Presque Isle about their Director Hiring planning. I have been asked to do some onsite training with their board.
- The Red Cliff library is moving forward with reestablishment. I expect to see an agreement for us at the next Board meeting.
- I still have not been able to receive contact from the Bad River Library Board president.
- I have been attending WLA meetings and was at ALA Midwinter in Boston last week.
Dee Kittleson declared the meeting adjourned at 11:15 am.