Trustee Meetings

Trustee Meeting 2016.11.12

NWLS Board of Trustees Meeting
November 12, 2016 Minutes
NWLS Headquarters, Ashland

1. Call to Order/Roll Call
Jeff Burke called the meeting to order at 12:00 pm.

Present: Buzz Byrne (Burnett County), Dian Delong (Sawyer County), Sandy Mackie (Washburn County), Vivian Markley (Douglas County), Mary Platner (Vilas County), Jocelyn Ford (Washburn County), Kathryn McKenzie (Douglas County), Jim Bassett (Sawyer County), Jeff Burke (Vilas County), Al Lundquist (Ashland County), Sherry Machones (Director), Michelle Gostomski (Office Manager).
Excused: Dee Kittleson (Bayfield County), Donna Bergum (Douglas County), Jan Pierce (Douglas County), Tom Thompson (Iron County), Laura Rachford (Burnett County), Teresa Schmidt (Mercer Public Library), Clarence Campbell (Ashland County), Connie Cogger (Bayfield County), Robert Mock (Douglas County).

2. Guest Comments
None.

3. Approval of the September 17, 2016, Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
Motion by Buzz Byrne, second by Al Lundquist to approve the September 17, 2016 Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes.  There were no comments.  Motion carried unanimously.

4. Approval of September and October 2016 NWLS Expenditures
Motion by Sandy Mackie, second by Dian Delong to approve the September and October 2016 NWLS Expenditures.  Motion carried unanimously. Mary Platner wished to see how much of our budget is covered by grant funding. Michelle Gostomski directed the Board to look at section three for current totals and will provide a more complete picture at the next meeting.

5. Approval of October 31, 2016, Financial Statement and Budget Report
Motion by Kathryn McKenzie, second by Buzz Byrne to accept the October 31, 2016 Financial Statement and Budget Report.  Motion carried unanimously.

6. Director’s Report
Sherry Machones reported on the following items:

Updates from member libraries:
• The Bayfield Public Library is having an Open House on Monday.
• The Forest Lodge Library in Cable is looking to purchase a property adjacent to their current location.
• The potential donation for a new building for the Ashland Public Library was withdrawn.
• The Minong Library invited me to their Board meeting in September about the future of the library. Different scenarios were discussed. Recently, Minong has started inquiring about becoming a branch of Spooner.
• Norma, the Director at Bad River, is still ill, and the library will be closed for another month. At this point it looks like they will not be in compliance due to not being open the required hours needed.
• After a turnover of Board members, The Phelps Library Board is still having some issues remaining compliant. DPI and I have been assisting Cari, the Director, as needed.

Updates from the system:
• Our consortium decided on Flipster to provide our e-periodical services. This year this was paid with LSTA remaining funds. The consortium will re-evaluate the service next year to decide if they want this as a permanent offering.
• We held a youth workshop on cyber security for tweens and teens. Libraries that attended will receive micro grants for materials or resources for their libraries.
• Michelle attended a training on e-rate and a meeting of SOMBAW.
• Michelle was featured with the group from WITC in the local paper about our memory kits from a LSTA grant.
Updates from the Director:
• I helped with the New Director Bootcamp from DPI. It was a huge success and I have offered to help plan and work the next one. It is usually every two years, but attendees would like it every year and for 3 days instead of 2.
• I attended the state youth services and continuing education consultant meetings.
• PLSR Project teams debuted the initial new models at the WLA Conference. The initial response was positive overall. Project teams will be working again on finer details in January.
• The WLA Conference was a success. I presented twice. The SRLAAW meeting was lively with a long discussion on libraries partnering with schools on card/account issuance.
• I have visited 25 of the 28 libraries. I will be visiting Eagle River next week and Madeline Island the week after. Lac Du Flambeau has not responded to my request for a visit.

Sherry Machones asked the Board for their guidance on how they would like to proceed on performance evaluations of the Director. The previous Director was only evaluated in 2006 and 2011, and there was little information about it in our files. It was agreed that an evaluation should be sent out to Board members, a self-evaluation done by the Director, and the Board will meet in closed session to discuss it in March.

Right before adjournment, Kathryn McKenzie requested that in future meetings that a verbal roll call be done. Mary Platner then voiced her concerns about the legality of having online meetings. Jeff Burke motioned that the bylaws be put on the next agenda. Buzz Byrne seconded. Michelle Gostomski provided Mary with a copy of our bylaws and Sherry Machones pointed out that in section five, letter g, it states how we conduct online meetings. Jeff Burke and Buzz Byrne withdrew their motion.

7. Adjourn
Sandy Mackie moved to adjourn the meeting at 12:43 pm. Buzz Byrne seconded.

Respectfully submitted,

Sherry Machones, Director