Local ResourcesLake Superior Chippewa Indians
- The Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council:
http://www.glitc.org/ - Support for Native Americans in Wisconsin,
Michigan, and Minnesota includes expanding sovereignty and
- The Great Lakes Indian Fish & Wildlife Commission (GLIFWC) http://www.glifwc.org/ - Assists its member bands in implementing off-reservation treaty
seasons and in the protection of treaty rights and natural resources.
GLIFWC provides natural resource management expertise, conservation
enforcement, legal and policy analysis, and public information services.
- NiiJii http://niijii.org/
- NiiJii is a non-profit organization empowering people to reduce
poverty, build sustainable local economies and promote Native American
values and culture.
- Wigamig Owners Loan Fund, Inc http://www.wigamig.org/ - An emerging Native
American Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) located in
Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin, a non-profit organization looking to
better our community by providing financial assistance to low-income
households including a volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Native American Literature
- American Indians in Children's Literature http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/ - Critical perspectives of indigenous peoples in children's and
young adult books, the school curriculum, popular culture, and society.
- Native American Authors http://www.ipl.org/div/natam/ - The Internet Public Library provides
information on Native North American authors with bibliographies of
their published works, biographical information, and links to online
resources including interviews, online texts and tribal websites.
- Oyate: Review of Native American books for children http://www.oyate.org/
- A Native organization dedicated to the honest portrayal of lives and
histories of Native People offering books and curricula
themes and conducting workshops
and institutes on “Teaching Respect for Native Peoples.”
Native American Studies
- The American Indian Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC) Virtual Library http://www.aihecvl.org/ - A collection of resources by for and about Native Americans available
online, selected and reviewed by Tribal College librarians.
- American Indian/Indigenous
Education http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jar/AIE/index.html - designed to provide information, including links to
related web sites, on the history and current
thinking about American Indian and Indigenous education.
It includes information on how Indigenous students were taught English and on bilingual/bicultural
education. In addition, there is material on teaching reading,
development, and American
Indian dropouts. Links are also provided to information on community-controlled
schools, gifted and talented
education, learningstyles, and Indian
- American Indian Language and Culture Education http://dpi.wi.gov/amind/ai-lce.html - Any School enrolling American Indian students may choose to establish
an American Indian Language and Culture Education (AILCE) Program
designed to make the curriculum more relevant to the needs, interests,
and cultural heritage of American Indian students. Components may
include instruction in language, literature, history, and culture; staff
training; and vocational education.
- American Indian Studies Program http://dpi.wi.gov/amind/index.html - The American Indian Studies Program of the Department of Public Instruction assists with
the implementation of the curricular requirements in the areas of
American Indian history, culture, and tribal sovereignty. The program
is also responsible for American Indian Language and Culture Education.
- Index of Native American Resources on the Internet http://www.hanksville.org/NAresources/ - An index
of several thousand organized links to Native American and related
websites, for both academic research and personal uses.
- Lac Courtes Oreilles Community College Library http://www.lco.edu/library/index.html
- Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe Community College http://www.lco.edu/ - A non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college offering appropriate curriculum leading to Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees, one-year certificates, specialized certificates and programs of cultural enrichment. The curriculum reflects the Ojibwe culture and tribal self-determination and the college will provide opportunities for individual self-improvement in a rapidly changing technological world, while maintaining the cultural integrity of the Ojibwe.
News and Information
- American Indian Library Association http://www.ailanet.org/ - The American Indian Library Association, an affiliate of the American Library Association, is a membership
action group that addresses the library-related needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives.
- National Indian Law Library News [BLOG] http://nilllibrary.blogspot.com/ - Legal news and updates from the National Indian Law Library
- National Native News http://nativenews.net/ - Provides public radio
listeners with a regular, timely and balanced source of news about Native
- WebJunction: Tribal & First Nation Communities http://www.webjunction.org/tribal-and-first-nations/-/resources/overview
- WebJunction offers an online community space where people can
exchange information, collaborate, share ideas, ask questions, and get
inspired to reach local Native American communities.