Merlin Cataloging Standards
For accuracy of statistics and to ensure overall database integrity, the Merlin Consortium has set certain standards for inputting data. These standards apply to creating bibliographic and item records.
Bibliographic record standards include:
- Editing the material type fix field code
- Checking and editing specific Marc record fields
- Standardized local subjects
- Cataloging paperbacks
- Magazine records
- Order records
Item record standards include:
- Proper use of the volume field
- Default item cost based on the type of material
National cataloging rules and standards are followed for descriptive and subject cataloging of records contributed to Merlin.
The Merlin Cataloging Policy for Managing RDA-style MARC Records provides the general criteria to be followed for editing RDA records.