Merlin Meeting 2012.02.23

MERLIN CONSORTIUM MEETING
February 23, 2012 Minutes (online - recording available upon request)

I. Call to order
Chair Shirley Miller called meeting to order at 10:01 a.m.

II. Quorum Determination/Recognition of Proxies
    A.  Quorum (of 15 members) was determined with the following attendees: Linda Stobbe, Linda Bailen, Jim Trojanowski, Mike Sauvola, Marsha Sorensen, Mike Sheehan (NWLS); Shirley Miller (Ashland); Roberta Menger (Bayfield); Cherie Sanderson (Boulder Jct.); Kristine Lendved (Cable); Diana Anderson (Eagle River); 

Judy Pearson (Grantsburg); Molly Lank-Jones (Hayward); Courtney Dietsche (Iron River); Caryl Pfaff (LCO College); Julie Zelten (Land o’ Lakes); Jennie Thewis (Mellen); Connie Ross (Madeline Island); Janelle Kohl (Manitowish Waters); June Franzen (Phelps); Ida Nemec (Sayner); Beth Carlson (Shell Lake); Jane Frankiewicz (Spooner); Sue Heskin (Superior); Darrell Pendergrass (Washburn); Patti Meyer (Webster); Cela McGinnis (Winchester).
    B.  Proxies: None


III. Approval of November 17, 2011 Consortium Meeting Minutes

    A.  There was a question related to the date given for the August meeting.  After some discussion, it was mentioned that the date can be confirmed after the meeting and presented at a later time.
    B.  Diana Anderson moved to amend the Minutes to remove Marsha Sorensen from the ILS Cost Comparison Committee and add her volunteering to running reports for the Collaborative Collection Development Committee.  Second by Cherie Sanderson.  Passed unanimously.
    C.  Mike Sheehan moved to amend the Minutes to add his name and Jim Trojanowski’s to the ILS Cost Comparison Committee.  Seconded by Ida Nemec.  Passed 17-1.
    D.  Motion to approve the entire amended Minutes by Diana Anderson and seconded by Ida Nemec.  Passed unanimously.
 

IV. Approval of financial report
    A.  Linda Stobbe presented the financial statement.  
    B.  Motion to approve by Cherie Sanderson and seconded by Courtney Dietsche.  Passed unanimously.

V. Other Business
    A.  Sierra Update

Mike Sheehan walked through and made further comments on the Sierra update document.  Some questions turned toward the presented timetable.  Sheehan has been directed to gather details related to training and how logins/authorization structures may change.  He will provide continued information about the migration as it becomes available.
    B.  Status: ILS Cost Comparison Committee
This committee had not met.  Courtney Dietsche volunteered to be added to the committee that now comprises Sue Heskin (appointed lead), Mike Sheehan, Jim Trojanowski, and Teresa Schmidt.  The committee will meet within the next couple of months (most likely electronically) and will report at the May meeting.
     C.  Review of Merlin Compliance Document
Shirley Miller had received some questions related to the Merlin Compliance document and shared responses from Mike Sheehan.  
          1. Discussion ensued over the Compliance item related to an annual signing of a patron privacy policy by area library staff.  Beth Carlson moved that library employees (and volunteers) will sign upon hire an agreement stating they will not tamper or compromise privacy of library records, with an annual reminder to staff of the rule.  Motion seconded by Cherie Sanderson.  Passed unanimously.
         2. Discussion was raised regarding reviewing the Compliance document annually.  Cherie Sanderson moved to discuss the Compliance document at the May meeting.  Motion seconded by Sue Heskin.  Passed unanimously.
         3. Shirley Miller briefly reviewed the other items that had raised the initial questions, and there was additional discussions on the Compliance item related to” paying fines at any Merlin library with overdue fines kept at the library receiving payment.” No further action was taken.
    D.  Status: Collaborative Collection Development
Shirley Miller had commented that this committee had not met, but she will talk with Teresa Schmidt and put together a special collection survey to report at the May meeting.  This committee will seek statistics from Marsha Sorensen upon need.

    E. Requests for next meeting items

Molly Lank-Jones had a question on how magazines were counted in monthly statistics.  Mike Sheehan explained he thought they were counted in the local circulation as well as “other” in the media report.  Sheehan will verify and send out a response to all libraries, after which it can be determined if additional discussion is necessary.
    
VII. Adjournment
    A.  Diana Anderson moved for meeting adjournment at 11:20 a.m. Cherie Sanderson seconded.  Passed unanimously.
    B.  Next meeting date: Thursday, November 17, 2011 at NWLS. Directors meeting will follow.

Respectfully submitted,
Michael Sheehan