Merlin Meeting 2012.08.23

MERLIN CONSORTIUM MEETING
August 23, 2012 Minutes (at NWLS)

I.  Call to Order
Chair Shirley Miller called the meeting to order at 10:15 a.m.

II.  Quorum Determination/Recognition of Proxies
A. Quorum (of 15 members) was determined with the following attendees: Linda Stobbe, Jim Trojanowski, Marsha Sorensen, Mike Sheehan (NWLS); Shirley Miller (Ashland); Cherie Sanderson (Boulder Jct.); Kristine Lendved (Cable); Diana Anderson (Eagle River); Ann Larson and Molly Lank-Jones (Hayward); Courtney Dietsche (Iron River); Caryl Pfaff (LCO College); Julie Zelten (Land o’ Lakes); Connie Ross (Madeline Island); Jennie Thewis (Mellen); Teresa Schmidt (Mercer); Ida Nemec (Sayner); Jane Frankiewicz (Spooner); Sue Heskin (Superior); Patti Meyer (Webster); Cela McGinnis (Winchester).

B. Proxies:  Ann Larson would be temporary proxy until Molly Lank-Jones would arrive for the meeting.

III.  Approval of the May 24, 2012 Consortium Meeting Minutes
A. Motion to approve by Diana Anderson and seconded by Kristine Lendved.  Passed unanimously.

B. Before other business continued, Jim Trojanowski moved to strike the Delivery item from the agenda.  Sue Heskin seconded.  Passed unanimously.

IV.  Approval of Financial Statement
Motion to approve by Teresa Schmidt and seconded by Julie Zelten.  Passed unanimously.
         
V.  Other Business
A. Review of  changes to Merlin Compliance Document
    1. Mike Sheehan confirmed that he had made the approved changes to the Merlin Compliance document as required by the Consortium.
    2. Diana Anderson moved to approve the Merlin Compliance review. Ida Nemec seconded.  Passed unanimously. 
    3. Mike Sheehan and Shirley Miller will meet later to discuss the distribution of the updated Merlin Compliance document for library directors and boards signatures.

B. Online Patron Registration
    1. Being the first true discussion on Online Patron Registration, Mike Sheehan introduced why the Consortium is talking about this.  Discussion ensued on how the program works and if there is an opt-in/opt-out capability.  Further discussion arose surrounding possible pros and cons of the product.
    2. Teresa Schmidt moved to proceed with enabling and setting up Online Patron Registration.  Cherie Sanderson seconded.  Passed unanimously.
    3. It was suggested a committee can be formed to recommend the best practices for setting up and using the product.

C. Tribal Member Patron Records - Status
    1. After some discussion, Jim Trojanowski and John DeBacher (DLT) arrived at an agreement that NWLS should not distinguish patrons with tribal status any differently than any other patron who uses the system libraries. Jim further mentioned libraries may use their own best judgment if they wish to continue using codes to identify patrons belonging to Native American tribes.
    2.  The statistics NWLS runs for libraries will be revised to reflect this change, including monthly reports from the beginning of the year.

D. ILS Cost Comparisons Committee - Status
    1. Jim Trojanowski began with an explanation of what the committee explored, from current formula to what is happening in other shared systems in Wisconsin, as well as looking at cost sharing based on true activity in the libraries (i.e. circulation, collections, lending, and borrowing).  Jim also explained the challenges the committee met when incorporating a phase in based on future data.
    2. Next, Jim described the formula that the committee agreed upon, which includes:
        •    a base cost for each member
        •    a percentage based on collection size
        •    a percentage based on circulation
        •    a credit or surcharge applied based on net lending or borrowing
        •    an exclusion of NWLS and Phelps School (since their small collection and circulation size would cause drastic reductions in their costs).
    3. Jim followed by showing a spreadsheet of how the formula would look if we were using the formula in 2012 for data used from 2010 (the most complete data available to the committee when developing the process.)
        •    Discussion ensued on how the 3% credit/surcharge for net lending/borrowing was calculated and Jim explained the calculation.
        •    Teresa Schmidt reminded the group that the Capital Fund contribution is based on licenses and that this may need to be addressed in time as well.  More discussion occurred addressing the Capital Fund contribution.
    4. Ida Nemec moved to accept the new formula the committee recommended, with a phase in of 5 years, and inclusion of the Capital Fund contribution.  Jane Frankiewicz seconded.  Passed unanimously.
    5. Jim will revise the formula for 2013 and explanations of the formula for distribution by Tuesday, (August 28).

E. Collaborative Collection Development Committee - Status
    1. Shirley Miller explained general results of the Committee’s online survey of local library collection strengths. 
    2. However, the committee had not met again to go over the results and would need to meet before brining any other findings or recommendations before the Consortium.

F. Merlin By-Laws Revision
    1. Mike Sheehan reported on the Executive Committee recommendations to revise the By-Laws.  Main areas affected include: Article II, paragraph 1; Article VI, Section 2 and Section 3; Article IX; and the revision history.
        • The Consortium suggested more changes. 
        • The Executive Committee will meet again to make sure that all changes have been adequately reflected in the amended By-Laws. 
        • The revised By-Laws will be brought up for adoption at the November meeting.

G. Sierra Update
    1. Mike Sheehan provided updated Sierra information, including dates when the server will be down and an outline of the new login structure.
    2. Sheehan further presented a rollout plan recommended by the NWLS Merlin team for libraries after the final conversion on October 23 with the goal to have libraries live on Sierra (and off Merlin) by the end of the year. 
     3. Sheehan will continue to provide libraries with updates on Sierra that include more explanation of events and suggested links to Sierra documentation and tutorials.

H. Review Procedure for Placing/Filling Holds
    1. Cela McGinnis reported that she hasn’t received item paging notices for a number of holds on her materials and asked that librarians remind staff to always print paging slips when prompted as they place item holds. 
        • Ann Larson responded with concerns that Millennium fails to properly generate paging notices for some item holds. 
        • Jim Trojanowski asked that problems be reported to Marsha Sorensen promptly so that they can be investigated.

VI.  Merlin 2013 Budget
A. Linda Stobbe reminded members that while the revised formula for 2013 has been altered, the Consortium should still approve the total amounts that will be applied in 2013.
    1. Diana Anderson moved that the total budget numbers be approved and applied to the new annual cost formula for 2013. Cherie Sanderson seconded.  Passed unanimously.
    2. Jim Trojanowski returned to the meeting to offer further explanation of some formula issues.  Diana Anderson moved to hold further explanation until later.  Ida Nemec seconded.  It was suggested Jim could send any new explanations to libraries next week when he distributes the final budget formula.  Diana Anderson amended her motion to reflect the suggestion.  Ida Nemec seconded.  Passed unanimously.

VII.  Adjournment
Diana Anderson moved for meeting adjournment at 2:00 p.m. Ida Nemec seconded.  Passed unanimously.

Next meeting date:  November 15, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. at NWLS
  

Respectfully submitted, Michael Sheehan