MERLIN CONSORTIUM MEETING
November 15, 2012 Minutes
I. Call to Order
Chair Shirley Miller called the meeting to order at 10:07 a.m.
II. Quorum Determination/Recognition of Proxies
A. Quorum (of 15 members) was determined with the following attendees: Linda Stobbe, Jim Trojanowski, Marsha Sorensen, Mike Sheehan (NWLS); Shirley Miller (Ashland); Roberta Menger (Bayfield); Cherie Sanderson (Boulder Jct.); Kristine Lendved (Cable); Diana Anderson (Eagle River); Ann Larson and Molly Lank-Jones (Hayward); Courtney Dietsche (Iron River); Julie Zelten (Land o’ Lakes); Connie Ross (Madeline Island); Jennie Thewis (Mellen); June Franzen (Phelps); Pam Eschenbauch (Presque Isle); Ida Nemec (Sayner); Jane Frankiewicz (Spooner); Darrell Pendergrass (Washburn); Patti Meyer (Webster); Cela McGinnis (Winchester); Donna Knuckey (Winter). Online - Teresa Schmidt (Mercer).
B. Proxies: Jane Frankiewicz was proxy for Judy Pearson (Grantsburg) and Ida Nemec was proxy for Janelle Kohl (Manitowish Waters).
III. Approval of the August 23, 2012 Consortium Meeting Minutes
A. Motion to approve by Kristine Lendved and seconded by Diana Anderson.
B. Passed unanimously.
IV. Approval of Financial Statement
A. Motion to approve by Cherie Sanderson and seconded by Pam Eschenbauch.
B. Passed unanimously.
V. Other Business
A. Merlin Revised Cost Structure
1. Courtney Dietsche had asked how the Consortium would deal with licenses (purchasing, dropping, allocation) now since the annual cost formula has changed. There was some discussion of how the license pool worked in Millennium and now with Sierra.
2. Jim Trojanowski recommended the formation of a committee to determine how licenses will work. Shirley Miller said that she would be forming a committee to look into licensing issues.
B. Merlin Statistics Report
1. Shirley Miller stated she had received a question about how the net lends/borrows figures were formulated.
2. NWLS agreed to have the net lends/borrows be reported monthly beginning in January 2013.
C. Merlin Budget
This item was moved to later in the meeting.
D. Online Patron Registration Committee Report
1. Cherie Sanderson reported that the committee (consisting of Cherie, Shirley Miller, Marsha Sorensen, Mike Sheehan, Kyle Hawley, Diana Anderson) met on November 13, 2012 to discuss program recommendations that would work for Merlin libraries and patrons. She explained the committee's recommended restrictions and limits as well as mandatory fields for the application form. After some discussion the Consortium agreed to reduce the Merlin hold limits for the temporary cards from five to two.
2. The Committee will meet again to test the program before launching it to general release. General release can be expected around the first of the year with a status report made at the August 2013 meeting.
E. Merlin By-Laws Revision
1. Mike Sheehan reported that the Merlin Executive Committee met on October 29 to confirm the changes made to the By-Laws in accordance with Consortium recommendations at the August meeting. Linda Stobbe stated the only changes made by the Executive Committee were typographical errors.
2. Cherie Sanderson moved to adopt the revised Merlin By-Laws. Diana Anderson seconded.
3. Passed unanimously. The By-Laws will be taken before the NWLS Board for approval at their January 2013 meeting.
F. Sierra Implementation Report
1. General consensus showed that the Sierra migration was overall very smooth.
2. A few libraries reported some lingering issues (displays, weird activity, etc.). Mike Sheehan commented on a couple of open calls to Innovative and some other issues that have been resolved.
G. Sierra INN-Appreciation Rewards
1. Mike Sheehan reported on a patron survey of preferences for software products offered free from Innovative. The survey ran from September 17, 2012 to November 14, 2012 to help the consortium limit the choices to the few that work best for patrons and libraries. Of the 59 survey responses, results showed Pathfinder Pro being the top choice by patrons, Telephone Renewal second choice, eCommerce the third choice, Digital Signatures the fourth choice, Patron Images the fifth choice, Collection Agency the sixth choice, and the Alternate Language OPAC the last choice.
2. Connie Ross asked for a brief description of each product. After some discussion, the Consortium narrowed the list of choices to five for NWLS to report on with more detailed information. The five finalists are: Digital Signatures, eCommerce, Consortium Extensions, Held Item Delivery, and Pathfinder Pro. NWLS will post the information about the five finalists on the NWLS webpage in the Merlin Cons ortium section for library directors.
3. The Consortium will make their final decision at the February 2013. The Consortium will need to notify Innovative of the choice by March 2013 or risk losing the rewards
H. Merlin Budget
1. Connie Ross moved to accept the Merlin Budget. June Seconded.
2. After some deliberation, Connie withdrew her motion.
I. Proposed 2013 Meeting Dates
Shirley Miller listed possible meeting dates for 2013. Following past decisions, they are all Thursdays. The dates are as follows:
• February 21, 2013
• May 23, 2013
• August 22, 2013
• November 14, 2013
I. Shirley Miller called for a lunch break at 12:10 p.m.
The meeting reconvened at 12:30 p.m.
1. Diana Anderson moved for meeting adjournment at 12:40 p.m. Pam Eschenbuach seconded. Passed unanimously.
2. Next meeting date: February 21, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. at NWLS
Respectfully submitted, Michael Sheehan