Merlin Meeting 2013.08.22

MERLIN CONSORTIUM MEETING
August 22, 2013 Minutes (online)

I. Call to Order
Chair Courtney Dietsche called the meeting to order at 10:04 a.m.

II. Quorum Determination/Recognition of Proxies
Quorum (of 15 members) was determined with the following attendees: Linda Stobbe, Jim Trojanowski, Marsha Sorensen, Mike Sauvola, Mike Sheehan (NWLS); Shirley Miller (Ashland); Cherie Sanderson (Boulder Jct.); Kristine Lendved (Cable); Suzanne Widmar (Drummond); Diana Anderson (Eagle River); Molly Lank-Jones (Hayward); Courtney Dietsche (Iron River); Caryl Pfaff (LCO College); Julie Zelten (Land o’ Lakes); Connie Ross (Madeline Island); Jennie Thewis (Mellen); Teresa Schmidt (Mercer); Kaye Petts (Phelps); Ida Nemec (Sayner); Amy Stormberg (Shell Lake); Jane Frankiewicz (Spooner); Sue Heskin (Superior); Patti Meyer (Webster); Cela McGinnis (Winchester); Donna Knuckey (Winter). There were no proxies.

III. Approval of the February 21, 2013 Consortium Meeting Minutes
Donna Knuckey moved to approve the minutes. Seconded by Patti Meyer. Passed unanimously.

IV. Approval of Financial Reports
Linda Stobbe presented the January to July 31, 2013 financial statement. Motion to approve by Kristine Lendved and seconded by Shirley Miller. Passed unanimously.

V. Other Business

Notes from May 23, 2013 Meeting
Courtney Dietsche mentioned these are not true minutes since we did not have a quorum for the last meeting, so they do not need approval. Mike Sheehan asked if they were any corrections to be made and none were noted.

2014 Merlin Budget
Jim Trojanowski presented the Merlin budget for 2014. Patti Meyer asked Jim to explain the 40% change and Jim described that we are now in the second year of a five year phase-in with a 20% change each year until 2017 when 100% change will be complete. Motion to approve by Teresa Schmidt and seconded by Molly Lank-Jones. Passed unanimously.

Approval of Standard for Retaining One Barcode in the Patron Record
Mike Sheehan briefly remarked on the standard that was originally brought before the Consortium at the May meeting. Sheehan reiterated why it is important to limit patron records to one barcode. He explained it would not be difficult to create initial lists for librarians to manage and then set up an annual procedure to send lists to libraries to manage.

There was a little confusion about why Mike was addressing how NWLS merges patrons, and Sheehan explained that the action of merging patrons puts the barcode from the source record into the destination record so there are at least two in the record. Currently Sheehan deletes the barcode that came from the source record but could leave it alone after merging and these records would get trapped in the annual list creation anyway. Sheehan will begin the initial list distribution this fall.

Motion to approve the standard by Molly Lank-Jones and seconded by Sue Heskin. Passed unanimously.

Approval of New Merlin Cataloging Policy
At the beginning of the year Mike Sheehan requested a bibliographic committee be assigned to help draft any policies or look at current standards affected by the implementation of Resource Description and Access (RDA), the new rule book for cataloging. The committee met three times electronically and drafted a new cataloging policy stating how Merlin catalogers would address RDA records in the Merlin database. Sheehan asked for approval before this policy would be added to the cataloging information packet distributed to catalogers in early September 2013.

Patti Meyer asked if there would be future changes. Sheehan noted that while the RDA rule book is likely not to change much in the future, its creation was to make library record data more accessible in the semantic Web world and what the library community would likely see is an eventual shift from MARC record format to an XML format of record. This could greatly impact the display and function of the traditional library catalog. Sheehan further noted that it is unclear whether library vendors will incorporate a MARC–to-XML converter in their software or if XML will replace just MARC. The Library of Congress is currently working on a framework to make XML records the next standard.

Motion to approve the Merlin Cataloging Policy made by Teresa Schmidt and seconded by Amy Stormberg. Passed unanimously.

Approval of Revised Bibliographic Standard on GMDs
Mike Sheehan noted that along with a new cataloging policy, the bibliographic committee reviewed current local Merlin standards and found reason to update only this one related to General Material Designations (GMDs). RDA calls for the removal of the GMD but results from a survey of our catalogers showed an interest in retaining the GMD. Many feel the GMD offers patrons a secondary method of displaying the media so that patrons make the proper selection of materials when placing holds. While this revision only touches upon adding examples for common media, there will be a guide that will be sent in the cataloging packet that shows extensive examples for all kinds of media found in the Merlin database.

Motion to approve the revised Bib Standard on GMDs made by Donna Knuckey and seconded by Amy Stormberg. Passed unanimously.

Report of Redesigned OPAC
Mike Sheehan reported that after some problems with the Ecommerce installation and testing and a recent fix for a scoping issue on the catalog, the updated Merlin catalog is in good shape. Sheehan walked through the online patron registration form and an Ecommerce example so libraries get an idea of how the features work. Marsha Sorensen mentioned how the donation form would work and reminded people to let her know if libraries wanted a link to place on their library websites. A few people had questions about how the charges by the merchant would be assessed. Mike Sheehan and Linda Stobbe mentioned only some possibilities since we don’t know amounts until we actually have the Ecommerce functions live and can view more activity. Sue Heskin mentioned how she is able to see transactions on her library’s PayPal account statement and NWLS believes we would probably see something similar since Merchant eSolutions works through PayPal’s PayflowPro services. Some further discussion ensued about the launch date and what information should be sent out prior to launch to allow library staff to get familiar with the features. Any information for librarians would include what charges are assessed by the merchant.

Cherie Sanderson moved that NWLS launch the updated OPAC on Monday, August 26, 2013 and distribute information guides to library staff as well. Seconded by Patti Meyer. Passed unanimously.

Information on Hold-shelf Clearing Procedures
Marsha strongly reminded member libraries to Clear the Holdshelf regularly (a Merlin Compliance requirement) to prevent the system from crashing and running slow.  Marsha will send out a link to the procedures for managing clearing individual hold-shelves.

Potential ILS Merger of NWLS Merlin and WVLS V-Cat Systems
Jim Trojanowski reported that NWLS was approached earlier in the year by WVLS about the potential to merge ILSs. The Division has encouraged systems to consider some consolidation of ILSs and some merging and there has been some LSTA money set aside to help pay for these initiatives in the past. Recently it was discovered that IFLS and their MORE consortium is interested in this discussion as well. So far the parties involved are taking this from the concept stage: identifying the reasons why, seeing who is involved, and what the result might be.

Beginning the next few weeks or so, the interested systems plan to participate in an exploratory study, possibly facilitated by WiLS staff, to gather information and identify questions and concerns about this project. The process is likely to involve the following steps:

• System directors arrive at a shared vision which is then shared with system boards, consortia library staff, and system staff;
• One or more committees (consisting of system directors, system staff, and library consortium member staff) would be developed to address the questions and concerns and come up with some answers;
• Final report is created to bring back to the consortium for approval.
• Granted the project is approved, apply for LSTA money (if available) to use for project implementation in 2015.

Jim repeated that this is only in the concept stage so we won’t be able to answer questions on details yet, but library staff should still feel free to ask questions.

VI. Adjournment
Shirley Miller moved to adjourn the meeting at Noon. Sue Heskin seconded. Passed unanimously.

Next meeting date:
Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. at NWLS with a Director’s Meeting to follow Respectfully submitted, Michael Sheehan