Merlin Meeting 2015.11.12

MINUTES OF THE MERLIN CONSORTIUM
November 12, 2015 (via GoToWebinar)

I. Call to Order
Chair Courtney Dietsche called the meeting to order at 10:03 a.m.

II. Quorum Determination/Recognition of Proxies
Quorum (of 15 members) was determined with the following attendees: Linda Stobbe, Mike Sheehan, Marsha Sorensen (NWLS); Shirley Miller (Ashland); Blair Nelson (Bayfield); Cherie Sanderson (Boulder Junction); Kristine Lendved (Cable); Nan Andrew (Eagle River); Kristina Kelley-Johnson (Grantsburg); Molly Lank-Jones (Hayward); Courtney Dietsche (Iron River); Julie Zelten (Land o’ Lakes); Jennie Thewis (Mellen); Cari Hutton (Phelps); Pam Eschenbauch (Presque Isle); Ida Nemec (Sayner); Amy Stormberg (Shell Lake); Jane Frankiewicz (Spooner); Linda Olson and Sue Heskin (Superior); Darrell Pendergrass (Washburn); Patti Meyer (Webster).

No proxies were mentioned.

III. Approval of the August 20, 2015 Consortium Meeting Minutes
A couple of changes were noted. Ida Nemec moved to approve the minutes as revised. Seconded by Shirley Miller. Passed unanimously.

IV. Approval of Financial Reports
Linda Stobbe remarked that the only addition to the Merlin Capital line was for interest to date, and this was also noted in the Merlin Shared Automation Project budget. Linda also mentioned that the lines that fluctuate the most are the spare equipment lines and software updates line. Pam Eschenbauch moved to accept the financial statements as presented. Seconded by Kristine Lendved. Passed unanimously.

V. Other Business
Long Range Planning Committee Update
Shirley Miller remarked that since this is the first presentation of the plan to the full Consortium, the committee members should try to answer any questions other members may have. Several items for revision came across the questions log and Mike Sheehan will forward those comments to Shirley for adding into the plan. The next sequence of actions will be to (1) ask Consortium members to send changes to Shirley by December 18; (2) the Committee will meet again via webinar to discuss the revised final draft; and (3) the final draft will be brought before the Consortium at the February meeting for approval. Courtney Dietsche will send reminders for people to submit changes to Shirley by December 18.

Cataloging Assessment Information
Mike Sheehan read from notes from the September meetings that were previously distributed (emailed) to libraries on October 2. Regarding the cataloging assessment, cataloging workflows would remain on. It was felt that the assessment would be best performed on an annual basis with follow-up refresher training for libraries where areas seem problematic. Assessments would not be graded as such. The purpose of the assessment is to allow NWLS to check and evaluate weaknesses in cataloging training to improve what is lacking.

Mike sent out all cataloging information that pertains to the assessment on November 2. The assessment will be sent out at the beginning of December with submission deadline by December 31, 2015. After compiling the results of the assessments, Mike will coordinate any necessary refresher trainings in 2016 to address areas of concern and report at the February meeting general results of the assessment.

Currently the assessment is in print form, but Mike will work with Mike Sauvola to try and turn it into an online format prior to distribution.

Inventory Information
Mike Sheehan did not have much to report regarding the previously presented inventory information. He mentioned Mercer Public Library had performed an inventory at the end of October using the current equipment and NWLS will continue using this kit until something better has been identified. He also did not have a chance to test the Surface Pro with Sierra workstation and scanner attachment that Benjamin Whytsell had set up for testing.

Mobile Worklists and MyLibrary Apps Sale
NWLS staff have been advised to bring any vendor product specials to the Consortium for discussion and these two products are the most recent special sale. Mike Sheehan explained that the Mobile Worklists is a staff based program and the MyLibrary app is for patron use. Since
(1) there were still unanswered questions related to how long the sale pricing lasts for the programs once they are purchased;
(2) it is unknown as of which Innovative libraries are using these products to provide more information on them;
(3) the limitations of both products being available for iOS (Apple) platforms only [when most believe Android is more widely used for our region of the state] without known indication of when Android will become available; and
(4) members would need more information before the sales end but knowing they would not likely get it before December 31st, the Consortium will pass on this special. Sheehan will continue to provide updates about these products as they become available.

TV Series Record Maintenance Update
Mike Sheehan reported that the retrospective conversion of the TV series titles was completed at the end of August. Cataloging staff should be following the agreed upon procedures for new titles added.

Updated List of Duplicate Barcodes and Circulation Upgrades Testing
Marsha Sorensen deferred the first issue to Mike Sheehan. Mike mentioned that this first issue really isn’t about duplicate barcodes (of which there are few) as opposed to efforts to reduce the number of multiple barcodes in patron records. The Consortium passed in 2013 a standard calling for 1 card (barcode) per patron. Mike explained that what NWLS does is run a list every spring for each library with their patron records containing multiple barcodes, and send those lists to the libraries to manage. The number of records will vary from library to library. Those with 100 or more records Mike has updated the patron record with a message that will alert staff about managing multiple cards. The overall number of patrons with multiple cards is getting smaller each year, and Mike praised library staff for attending to this maintenance.
Marsha Sorensen tested the new “mark damaged” feature and discussed a few concerns. The feature can work one of two ways:
1. You can mark the item damaged, leave it checked out to the patron, and change the status to damaged (and it will go through the billing cycle as damaged), or
2. You can add a manual charge (which doesn’t create a bill but changes the status to damaged).
One problem is that if the item is marked damaged and checked in and sent to the owning library in delivery, the patron won’t get billed. A bill isn’t automatically generated; a feature of the “mark items lost” function. This feature is now set up for libraries to test on their own.

Some members felt the assessed charges should be the responsibility of the owning library. Sue Heskin will talk about this with her staff since she felt this was something they would use in Superior. Marsha also mentioned Kathy Setter (from IFLS) was not impressed by the feature at this time but will work toward getting enhancement in the future.

There was consensus to use this feature and provide a way to protect the owning library’s rights to assess charges. Marsha will draft instructions for use and post them on the NWLS website along with a damaged form.

Proposed 2016 Meeting Dates
Courtney Dietsche proposed the following dates for meetings in 2016: February 18, May 19, August 18, and November 10. These are all Thursdays. After some discussion it was decided that the first two meetings would be online with the last two in-person meetings. Locations for the in-person meetings would be decided later to see if they could be matched with Directors Meetings which are often at varying locations within NWLS.


VI. Adjournment
Courtney adjourned the meeting at 11:50 a.m.


Next meeting date: February 18, 2015 at 10:00 (online)

Respectfully submitted,
Michael Sheehan