A. Search Records & Add Holdings In Merlin
1. Double-click on the Millennium icon to open the program.
2. At the login prompt, enter your username and password.
3. In Catalog mode, choose the ISN (ISBN) search Index from the dropdown list.
4. Enter in the ISBN number and hit <enter>.
5a. If the record is there, click View to view the bibliographic record and verify the record is correct. If you need to edit the record, click Edit. Proceed with step A6.
5b. If the record is not there, try a title search or author search to bring up the record.
5c. If the record is still not there, put it aside to later follow the steps in B.
6. Click Summary to get to the summary list of item holdings.
7. Click Attach New Item to make a new record.
8. Select the appropriate item template from the list.
9. Fill in the prompted BARCODE and CALL # fields.
10. Check over or change the item record as necessary.
11. Click on the Save icon to save the record (it saves in Merlin only).
12. Click Close to finish and quit back to the ISN search screen.
13. Click on the previous ISBN # to highlight it, and type in the next item’s ISBN.
14. Follow steps A5-12 for the remainder of your searches.
B. Search Z39.50 Remote for Records Not in Merlin
1. Now starting from where you left off on Part A, step5c, click the Remote button.
2. Choose a single or several databases to search and click OK.
3. Choose the Index type of search you want to perform (usually ISBN) and enter in the search term/number.
4. Click Search.
5a. If the record loads (or you pick one from a list), verify it against the piece in hand. Some editing may be required.
5b. If no choice is available, put it aside for a week and try the steps in A/B again.
5c. If after a week no choice is available, create a short record using the Short Bib Template and attach an item record using the steps below.
6. After verifying and/or editing the bibliographic record, click Save.
7. From the View dropdown box, choose Item.
8. Click Attach New Item to make a new record.
9. Select the appropriate item template from the list.
10. Fill in the prompted BARCODE and CALL # fields.
11. Check over or change the item record as necessary.
12. Click on the Save icon to save the record (it saves in Merlin only).
13. Click Close to finish and quit back to the ISN search screen.
14. Perform the search for the next item following steps B3-13.
15. To leave the z39.50 Remote search, click on Local to get back to Merlin.
C. Deleting Items
1. In Catalog mode, choose Barcode from the Index search dropdown.
2. Enter the barcode number of the item you wish to delete, and hit <enter>.
3. The individual record will display, but click on the Summary tab.
4. In the Summary screen, mark the item and click Delete.
5. You may be prompted to delete the bibliographic record too (if you were the only library attached) and you should answer Yes.
6. Click Close to finish and go back to search the next record for deletion.
7. Follow steps C1-6 for the remainder of items needing deletion.