Special Needs Planning Resources
- Adults with Special Needs - A resource and planning guide for Wisconsin Public Libraries
- Affordable Care Act - Links to information, handouts and webinars are provided by the Department of Public Instruction.
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry - Offers information on disorders that seriously interfere with the day to day functioning.
- Exceptional Parent - Practical advice and the most up-to-date educational information covering disabilities and special healthcare needs online and through a variety of media including magazines, books, DVDs, and CDs, interactive CME accredited seminars and teleconferences.
- LDL Online - Authoritative resources for learning disabilities such as attention deficit disorder, ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dysnomia, reading difficulties, speech and related disorders. Provides recommended web sites, organizations and books about learning disabilities by subject or title. A section for children with learning disabilities includes book suggestions as well as stories and artwork contributed by children.
- “Library Accessibility – What Trustees Need to Know” - A toolkit provided by The Association of Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies (ASCLA) that covers access issues including but are not limited to patrons who have cognitive, mental, or emotional illnesses; learning and/or developmental disabilities; physical disabilities; service animals; and patrons needing assistive technologies.
- Learning Disabilities Association of America - Adult reading literacy programs for literacy providers.
- National Dissemination Center for Children With Disabilities - Provides information and answers questions related to programs, services and legal issues affecting infants, children, and youth with disabilities
- National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center - Supports programs to improve service and outcomes for children and families.
- Office for Outreach and Literacy: ALA
- Parenting Special Needs -
- Programming for Children With Special Needs - A five part series covering programming for Children with Special Needs series
- Serving Special Populations - Designed to guide library staff in planning, implementing, and evaluating services for special populations, offer a range of resources and strategies useful to all size public libraries no matter where they are located in Wisconsin, and provide information unique to Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Family Assistance Center for Education, Training and Support - Connects families to community resources and information supporting children with disabilities including links to key websites.
- Writing LSTA Special Needs Grants
- Youth and Special Services: - Includes planning guide publications and resources for programs, agencies, and initiatives.
Special Needs Tools