Digital Media Guide
Digital News Updates
Wisconsin's Digital Library
- 02.21.13 The digital catalog is upgraded with many conveniences for the user. View the new features!
- 01.14.13 The Recommend to Library feature was enabled.Log in and choose the Additional Titles option when searching the catalog.
- 01.01.13 Merlin patrons have access to the "Advantage" collection of additional copies of popular ebooks. Sign in to view the titles.
- 12.13.12 NWLS purchases the OverDrive Advantage subscription for NWLS member libraries
- 11.19.12 OverDrive posted a Holiday Gadget Guide
- 10.02.12 OverDrive Media Console app was added to B&N’s Nook Apps storefront
- 04.01.12 The new Support Form is available for anyone to use for help with the Digital Library catalog.
- 02.16.2012 An upgraded support center (click Help) with new searchable resources that can be easily shared via email, Facebook and Twitter.
- 11.21.2011 The number of checkouts and holds allowed has been increased to 10.
- 7.22.2011: A rich collection of digital resources, including books, journals, and database content is provided by EBSCO in BadgerLink. In BadgerLink log in with your library card and select the EBSCO Database List, then select the eBook Collection. Sign In to your EBSCO account at the top of the page. EBSCOhost provides easy navigation, a large selection of ebooks, and improved functionality, including the ability to read full-text documents and to download titles to most popular portable devices. More...
Wisconsin's Digital Library
OverviewWisconsin's Digital Library collection includes downloadable ebooks, audiobooks, films, and music accessible with a library card. You are currently limited to a maximum of ten checked outs and ten holds. Titles, available to one user at a time, can be reserved and will trigger email notification when they become available for checkout.
Using the Advanced Search and picking the Kindle for format and nothing else will get a list of Kindle specific titles.
OverDrive Advantage Program
New for 2013 is the OverDrive Advantage program purchased by NWLS in anticipation of another explosion of new eReader owners from holiday gift-giving. OverDrive Advantage offers exclusive access for NWLS member libraries to items NWLS purchases on a monthly basis to the catalog to help reduce waiting time for popular titles. To access Advantage titles, sign in before browsing the Wisconsin Digital Library catalog.
Recommend OverDrive Titles
Anyone can now recommend titles to the library using a "Recommend to Library" feature. To use this feature:
- First login to your account and perform a search for your title in the Wisconsin Digital Library.
- If your title is not listed in the Library Collection, click the Additional Titles* button at the top of the list.
- You can then see all available titles in the OverDrive collection, including those that the library has not yet purchased. These titles will be indicated with a "Recommend" button.
- After clicking the "Recommend" button, you will see a popup window. You can choose to be notified by email if the library decides to purchase your title and also be placed on the wait-list when the title is purchased.
- Click "Recommend this Title" to finish the process.
*Please note that the library can only purchase materials on this list of Additional Titles. Titles not on this list are most likely absent because of publisher restrictions. Recommendations are not a guarantee that the library will purchase the title and are subject to factors such as available funds.
When you replace a library card, holds placed using the old card will NOT automatically transfer to the new card. You must notify NWLS so we can promptly transfer the holds to your new account. If an old account doesn't have holds, it shouldn't cause any problems to simply start using the new card. Please include your name and old and new barcodes in the message.
EBSCOhost eBooksA rich collection of digital resources, including books, journals, and database content is provided by EBSCO in the BadgerLink database portal. EBSCO offers a growing collection of over 250,000 titles. Thousands of eBook titles are loaded each month from hundreds of leading publisher partners in more than 30 languages. In BadgerLink log in with your library card and select the EBSCO Database List, then select the eBook Collection. Sign into your EBSCO account at the top of the page. EBSCOhost provides easy navigation functionality, including the ability to read full-text documents and to download titles to most popular portable devices. More...
Library Card Access (login)
Sign In (Login to your EBSCO account)
- Search, browse by category, or view featured books
Choose a title and a due date (1-14 days)
Select the Checkout and Download button,
Sign out after the title opens with Adobe Digital Editions.
- While ADE is open, connect the portable device to your computer
- ADE will recognize your device. Click borrowed and drag the checkouts to the device name in the list
- On your computer in the device DE folder, copy the PDF or EPUB file and paste it into the My Documents folder on your device
- Close ADE on your computer and disconnect your device
- On your device click the eBook folder and choose the title to read.
Other Digital MediaElectronic content is also available through other vendors offering free or individual subscription services (see "Other" ebooks listed below.)
- Project Gutenberg
- Google Books
- Best of Google eBooks
- Open Library
- Online Books Page
- Kindle Promotional Titles
- Free eBooks Blog
- Digital Media Guide (PDF)
- Digital Books Tour
- Digital Media Console downloading guide
- Download Guides on YouTube
- Kindle Support
- Library eBooks for Amazon Kindle video
- e-Reader guides customizable from South Central Library System, many from BadgerLearn, and one from Lakeshores Library System
Apple Book Apps
- Bluefire Reader - A reader for ePub and PDF files that allows you to keep books from multiple sources in one place.
- Flipboard - A design-centric RSS feed and social media reader with lots of great free content for iPhone and iPad.
- CourseSmart - Textbooks on the iPad with features including highlighting and annotation.
- eTextbooks - A free app that compliments the CourseSmart service with keyword searching, applying notes to pages, etc.
- iBooks - iBook Store Includes options for organizing collections, screen display features include nighttime theme, bookmarking features, navigation tools and iBookstore sampling.
- Kindle - For reading Kindle Amazon books from iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. Optimized for reading Kindle books, newspaper, and magazines. Includes features for screen display, a dictionary, content searching, and bookmarking features.
- Nook - For reading NOOK books, magazines, and newspapers from Barnes & Noble from an iPad.
- OverDrive - OverDrive Media Console eBook reader app for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, and audioBook player for accessing titles from the WPLC digital download center.