National Cataloging Standards
- Resource Description and Access (RDA)
- Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, 2nd Revision (AACR2)
- International Standard Bibliographic Description (ISBD)
- Other rules
MARC Bibliographic Materials
- An introduction to MARC by Betty Furrie
- Marc Standards -- MARC21 Standards
- MARC21 format for bibliographic data : LC
- MARC21 code list for countries
- MARC21 code list for geographic areas
- MARC21 code list for languages
- Functional analysis of the MARC21 bibliographic & holdings formats
MARC Authority Materials
- An introduction to authority records by Betty Furrie
- Web of Authorities- Bibliography listing of tools that assist with establishing authorities and general authority control issues.
- LC Home Page – for links on subject analysis, classification and shelf-listing, descriptive cataloging, and other tools
- MARC Edit -- Windows version of MARCMakr/Breakr from Terry Reese at Oregon State
- MARC Makr/MARC Breakr -- ASCII to MARC and MARC to ASCII conversion from LC
- Cataloger's Reference Shelf
- Cataloguing cheat sheets -- from Mac Elrod
- List of OPAC commonly misspelled words
Web Courses on Cataloging
Librarians in the NWLS area have choices when it comes to training in cataloging.
University of Wisconsin
The School of Library and Information Studies - a listing of correspondence, online and certification library courses.
A basic cataloging course is available online twice a year (Spring and Fall) for beginner and veteran NWLS catalogers. For more information contact Mike Sheehan at NWLS.